Saturday, March 11, 2006

Mystery "Buddha" boy goes missing

Nepali boy Ram Bahadur Bamjon meditates in the village of Bara

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Nepali police began hunting on Saturday for a teenaged boy who some people believe is an reincarnation of Buddha after he disappeared from the site where he had been meditating for almost 10 months.

Fifteen-year-old Ram Bahadur Bamjon has not been seen since early Saturday, said Hari Krishna Khatiwada, a district official of Bara, 150 km (95 miles) southeast of Kathmandu.

The boy had been meditating there without food or water since May. Some of his followers are also missing.

"So far we have found no trace of them," Khatiwada said.

Sitting cross-legged beneath a "pipal" tree, which is sacred to Hindus, Bomjon drew more than 100,000 people to the dense forests in southeastern Nepal.

But visitors were only allowed to see him from 50 metres (165 feet) away and the boy was hidden from public view at night behind a curtain drawn by his followers.

(If they don't find him, here is another myth to add to the list?)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting!! Maybe he needed to find a Burger King.
Sad... I hope that he's ok and that foul play isn't involved.

Stardust said...

LOL! Needed to find a Burger King

Maybe he is having a blast hiding from everyone! Maybe he didn't want to be Buddha anymore. Wherever he is, I too hope foul play isn't involved.

Anonymous said...

How weird. I hope you'll update us if they find anything. Or him.

Stardust said...

I will write a new post if I find anything new.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm the Buddha boy! It was just a little practical joke I was playing on some gullible people.

Stardust said...

Tommykey - you mean the Buddha boy blogs? Hey that's a tongue twister!

Justinother -
My father's favorite words of advice has always been "moderation in all things". I had never seen him over-indulge in anything in my whole life.