Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve Celestial Show

You amateur astronomers out there might want to get those telescopes out tonight for a spectacular event (if weather permits where you are).

From LINK: Space.com

A delightful display of planets and the moon will occur on New Year's Eve for anyone wishing to step outside and look up just after sunset.

Venus, brighter than all other planets and stars, will dangle just below the thin crescent moon in the southwestern sky. It'll be visible -- impossible to miss, in fact -- just as the sun goes down, assuming skies are cloud-free.
Then for an added treat, a stellar meteor shower on January 3rd! LINK

6 comments:

John said...

Oh man. I wish I still had my telescope. I would really like to see this.

Andrea said...

Happy & safe New Year's to you, Star!

Stardust said...

Happy New year to you, too Andrea! And to your whole family.

Cole, are you in a dark area away from lots of city and street lights? That's the problem living so close to Chicago. It's hard to really get a good view unless we drive an hour out west to get away from the glow.

John said...

I use to be when I had my telescope. Now I live in the city.

My friend lives out in the country though. I could just go to his house and watch it if I had my old telescope.

Stardust said...

And telescopes, good ones, are so expensive. I have a little cheaper one, but I am hoping that Santa brings me one that is more powerful one of these Xmases.

John said...

Yea, I know what you mean. Mine was one of the cheaper ones.