Thursday, January 10, 2008

Now this is REALLY crazy for God!

link:A young man cuts off his hand, and microwaves it! Why? Well, for starters, he is most likely schizophrenic. Combine schizo with religion and you get some really crazyass things happening. He believes he has the "mark of the beast" as described in his god's holy scriptures.

Most people, including Christians can agree that this was an insane act. But while Christians are calling him crazy, many of them consider the Bible to be the LITERAL WORD OF GOD. And this "literal word of God, in the Book of Revelations states:

"If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink the wine of God's fury."
AND

The book of Matthew also contains the passage: "And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

This story reminds me of the book I am reading "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb, about twin brothers and one of them is suffering with schizophrenia. At the beginning of the novel, the sick, Bible- obsessed twin cuts his own hand off at the public library. I don't think the guy in Idaho got his idea from Lamb's book. He got the idea from his "divine" word of his god. He believes in the Bible...literally.

Good thing most Bible literalists don't take all of the Bible literally.

13 comments:

John said...

Wow! That's crazy!

I no longer believe the Bible to be God's word. Although I still believe in a Higher Power of some sort.

But I'm not here to try and force my belifs about God on you.

Good post star!

Stardust said...

hey cole! howdy!

Hope you are doing well.

It's not the belief in a higher power that is the problem, it's the goofy books most god believers use to scare folks into believing in god with, or as justification for goofy or even frighteningly crazy behaviors and actions. God believers say how flawed humans are, yet follow a book that was written and translated numerous times by humans.

John said...

Hey Star,

I'm doing great now that I have let go of the Bible and it's teachings on eternal suffering in hell. I understand what you are saying about people using fear to scare people into believing. I don't have those fears and worries anymore of trying to rconcile all the contradictions and problems in the Bible.

I'm not even sure I know what it teaches anymore.

Tommykey said...

Just imagine if Jesus had said "If your head offendeth thee, cut it off"!

Stardust said...

tommy, you can safely bet that some religious lunatics would decapitate themselves.

tina FCD said...

I have that book but haven't read it yet. I think I'll go look it up now.
I heard about this nut case in the news. I figured someone would blog it soon.

Spirula said...

I find the fact that he microwaved his hand the most upsetting thing. When it comes to hands, braising is recommended.


George Donner

Stardust said...

spirula, would you recommend a bit of seasoning on that?

*shiver blech blech!* LOL
I am grossing myself out.

Stardust said...

Hi tina, if you get to the book before I do, let me know what you think.

Spirula said...

stardust,

Don't know. I guess whatever goes good with pork (cannibals have claimed that is what human flesh tastes like).

OTOH, there are four fingers and a thumb.

Stardust said...

spirula...


ewww :P

Spirula said...

Stardust,

Here's one you may want to address on GifS.

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Huckabee_Amend_Constitution_to_meet_Gods_0115.html

Fuckabee indeed.

Stardust said...

holy shit spirula, is this for real? It's not a spoof like our friend Conservetipedia might be?

I will get a post ready for this one at GifS..thanks!