Friday, November 24, 2006

Thought for the day

“I believe that when I die I shall rot, and nothing of my ego will survive. I am not young, and I love life. But I should scorn to shiver with terror at the thought of annihilation. Happiness is nonetheless true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting.”
-- Bertrand Russell, "What I Believe," 1925, reprinted in Why I Am Not a Christian (1957)

I have posted this before, but it is worth repeating.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here here! Why I Am Not a Christian is one of my all-time favorites.

CyberKitten said...

Good quote.

I wonder if any religion would exist if we did not fear our own deaths?

Stardust said...

hi vjack, nice to see you stopping by! My copy of Why I Am Not a Christian is worn and tattered from use. I refer to it often.

cyberkitten - I seriously doubt that religions would exist if humans did not fear our own deaths. All religions deal in some way obsessively with hopes for an afterlife. Religious folks also use religion/mythology to make up meanings for humankind's short existence and the meaning of life. Most fundies I know have shunned reading about mythology, calling it the work of the devil...well, in reality they are afraid that their superstitious beliefs would be shattered should they start looking outside the box of their own little world. If they are afraid that their faith can be destroyed so easily, they haven't any faith to being with...which is my contention.

Most people who say they believe in this god and afterlife stuff might want to believe it, but deep inside they know it is not real and that is why they are so threatened by an atheist. Deep down, they know we are right.

Stardust said...

Pinker: No Scientific Evidence for God