Friday, April 03, 2009

"Don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out"

As atheists, we are often accused of not being open-minded enough when we are not willing to consider made-up explanations for the “mysteries” of the unknown without supporting evidence. The following video takes a look at some of the flawed thinking that prompts people who believe in certain non-scientific concepts to accuse others of being close-minded for seeking scientific explanations and evidence for claims of supernatural activities, etc.

From the Friendly Atheist

4 comments:

CyberKitten said...

VERY good.

Stardust said...

Yes, it is, isn't it? I thought it was excellent.

Andrea said...

Wonderful find! Reminds me of a certain holy someone I just wrangled with, Star :D

Being a fan of Sagan, Shermer, and Paine helps to keep me in mind of two critical flaws in thinking: rejecting a truth and embracing a falsehood.

But asking for a shred of evidence is anathema to some people. They suck.

John said...

This reminds me of when I was a Christian apologist and how close minded I was in thinking that God was the only possible explanation for things like our origins and other scientific facts dealing with issues of fundamental human concern. What I failed to remember is the fact that there are an infinite number of logical possible explanations and it is very difficult to ensure that one has the only possible one. I have also come to learn that reason is not neutral. It does not stand dispassionately, without prejudice (prejudgment), overlooking the evidence; it is not bias free on matters of fundamental human concern. Reason is situated, located, embodied in this person at this time and in this place. It is moved by our biases to attend to this sort of evidence and to ignore that sort of evidence. It values this experience and discounts that one. We cannot attain the view from nowhere to check our beliefs against the facts independent of our beliefs.
We are finte, limited, believing creatures with all that attends to this fact. We don't know everything about everything neither do we have it all figured out. Sadly, I use to belive I did.